For unemployment benefits in Michigan, you basically need to do the following:
- Create a profile on the MiTalent system
- Register with the unemployment agency
- Contact at least two employers each week looking for work
- Document and submit a monthly record of your work search
- Monthly records must include a list of your work search activities, including:
- Date of contact
- Employer name, address or website
- Names and titles of contacts
- Method of contact (for example: in person, phone, mail, fax, email, online by resume response to job ad, etc)
- Type of work applied for
- Results of the activity
- If you fail to submit your monthly record of work search, this may have an effect on your eligibility for future payments and/or you may be required to pay back the benefits you were paid for the week(s) in question.
Disclaimer: This is our best attempt at summarizing the rules in Michigan. For the official details, see the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency.