For unemployment benefits in Illinois, you basically need to do the following:
- File online or at an IDES office.
- Actively seek work every week and record your activities
- Certify every two weeks online or via telephone
- Weekly records should include a list of your work search activities, including:
- Date of contact
- Employer name and address
- Person contacted
- Method of contact
- Type of work sought
- The results
- You must retain these records for 53 weeks and have them available upon request.
Disclaimer: This is our best attempt at summarizing the rules in Illinois. For the official details, see the Illinois Department of Employment Security.