For unemployment benefits in California, you basically need to do the following:
- Register with the unemployment agency
- Look for work each week
- Document and, in some cases, submit a weekly record of your work search
- Register in CalJOBS, California's Job Search assistance website
- Weekly records should include a list of your work search activities, including:
- Date of application
- Company name and address
- Person contacted
- Type of work applied for
- Explanation of results
- If you certify by web or phone, you must maintain records at home. If you certify by mail, you must submit your records on the back of the form.
Disclaimer: This is our best attempt at summarizing the rules in California. For the official details, see the California Employment Development Department.